The summer is here, and so is another new edition of Google I/O.
What is Google I/O?
Google I/O is an annual technical conference which majorly focuses on the specialized needs of both, the developers and the users in the market. Google gives us an insight of their agenda, along with a glimpse of what the developers and users will have on their plate for the upcoming year. Google comes up with some jaw-dropping announcements every year, which is a self-check to their old technologies and a turning point for their future inventions.
Google I/O 2018 Event
The three-day event commenced on the 8th of May, with great enthusiasm and expectations at the Shoreline Amphitheatre, San Francisco. The 10th edition of Google I/O has already witnessed a plethora of technical knockouts with the declaration of Android P, Google Duplex, Smart Composes, etc.
How is Google I/O 2018 instrumental for developers?
With some new technologies coming into play and some existing ones being improvised, Google I/O 2018 has a lot in store for Developers.
1. ML Kits
- Being one of the major announcements of I/O ’18, it is a new Software Development Kit, being a beneficial tool for software app developers.
- It enables developers to add AI-powered features in the app and showcases a model for barcode scanning, text recognition, face detection, live locations, etc. that developers can add to their applications.
- These kits are available both on the online and offline platform. The offline one being a game changer and with that, developers can develop an application with AI-enabled features which can be accessed offline in real-time which can be very promising for the future.
- Developers need not put their efforts into developing their own APIs to incorporate the required AI features as the ML Kit is fulfilling almost all the requirements.
- ML kit is a cross-platform development Kit and can be used on multiple mobile platforms. It can be used regardless of the operating system, i.e., both in Android and iOS.
2. Android Jetpack
- An announcement by Google that could be a boon in the development sector. Jetpack helps in managing activities like background tasks, lifecycle management, etc. and helps in fewer crashes and less memory leak.
- It is a set of tools and design guidelines that can accelerate the development of apps and will enable to finish complex tasks and creating robust designs within no time.
- Set of Newly launched Jetpack components include Work manager, paging, Navigation, Android KTX, and Slices enabling the developers to incorporate a modern development approach to fulfill the needs of the future apps.
- It is an extended component of the Android Jetpack which will allow the users to access the key functionalities of the application without having to access the application.
- Slices can take content from the Google Search bar and open the slices of the relevant application which can help the user to get the work done in a very few taps keeping the user experience much more refined and engaging.
- Slices will work for the applications which are already installed on the device and can also take leverage of the Google Assistant.
These are some of the many announcements that could impact the developers significantly shortly.
Google I/O 2018 extended at TechAhead
As a tradition, Google I/O organizes its extended events all across the Globe. We, at TechAhead, feel obliged by having the opportunity to be one of the associations of the I/O Extended event. Along with the continuous Live Streaming of their main event, we warmly welcome you all to a fun-filled yet cognitive session as a part of Google I/O Extended 2018 at TechAhead Noida on the 12th of May at 11:00 AM.