React Native: An open-source framework for building native apps.A comparatively newer platform for app development, it has gained massive popularity within a limited time. React Native has boasted solid community support and a good market share since its introduction. According to the Github Repository Statistics, in February 2019, 2,058 contributors committed 19 311 times in 108 branches with 335 releases. In addition, React Native is also the 14th most-starred repository on GitHub.
What are the advantages of React Native?
2) Cross-platform compatibilityOne of the most significant advantages of React Native is its cross-platform compatibility. It was initially introduced only for iOS but quickly developed for Android, owing to its beautiful capabilities and features. Most of the APIs are now cross-platform, enabling developers to build cross-platform apps simultaneously via the same codebase.
Image Credit: GitHub
3) Known for optimal performanceReact Native has a true advantage in improving performance via native control and modules. The platform gets connected to its native components that help in operating systems and generating code to the native APIs freely and upfront.
4) Affirmative developer experienceOne of the most positive things about React Native is the fact that it offers a great development environment. It grants implementations and modifications required while an app runs, removing the need to restart. It also makes the iteration cycle easier by removing the tiring re-building and deploying. React Native also deploys Flexbox layout, an engine that essentially helps generate app layouts for cross-platforms. Thereby helping you understand one layout that works on both platforms.
What are the disadvantages of React Native?
1) It's still newAs opposed to other Android and iOS languages, React Native is still comparatively new. The programming language still has a lot it can do, especially in terms of improvement. It constantly lacks consistency, especially regarding new updates, which unfortunately confuses developers. These updates especially become a problem because every time a new update is released, the developers find it challenging to make changes and make regular updates.
2) Lack of custom modulesReact Native is still underdeveloped as it lacks specific components. While most of the customer modules are readily available and work well, it happens now, and then that one must build a solution from scratch.
3) Limited third-party componentsWhile React Native has a large number of native modules available for both Android and iOS, however, one of the limitations of this tool is the limited number of third-party components available. This is a disadvantage because it limits the possible features that developers may implement in apps.
Apps built using React Native
- Uber Eats
Xamarin: An app platform for building Android and iOS appsOne of the most popular platforms for cross-platform app development in the market has Xamarin. It is an open-source platform and can be used to develop apps via .NET and C#. Xamarin community, with time, has grown to 1.4M developers across 120 countries. Many companies also prefer Xamarin in various fields, such as energy, transport, healthcare, etc.
What are the advantages of Xamarin?
Image Credit: Microsft
1) API integrationXamarin combines the same APIs and UI controls required to build Android and iOS apps in their languages. Xamarin, and Microsoft Visual Studio, can develop apps for Windows Phone and desktop. Code-sharing is easier b/w these multiple platforms, and getting support isn't a task.
2) C#Xamarin allows a developer to write the apps in C#. C# is a highly modern, simple, general-purpose, object-oriented language. It prevents error and is a preferred language for a lot of developers. It is also a popular language. Xamarin allows code written in C# to be easily ported to Android or iOS apps.
3) Effective offline applicationsXamarin is a brilliant tool that allows developers to create mobile applications that function flawlessly without internet connections. This especially helps when the app has a target audience that may not always have good internet access.
4) Testing environmentWhile most languages allow you to test your code after its completion, Xamarin allows you to test apps while developing them. This results in an error-free and flawless code.
What are the disadvantages of Xamarin?
1) Software overheadOwing to one of its most significant advantages, Xamarin helps save time by making a single app for all possible platforms. However, despite this, it requires code linkage and putting references between the target operating systems of devices. This increases the time taken for downloads and initiation of apps.
2) PricingWhile Xamarin is a free and open-source language, commercial development and licensing are usually expensive. The annual fees for Microsoft IDE aren't usually a problem for a professional development company but must be considered, especially with in-house development. 3) Community Xamarin has a limited community compared to platform-specific languages due to the lack of cross-platform developers. Many developers focus on specializations; hence, the overall community for Xamarin is limited.
Apps built using Xamarin
- Alaska Airlines
- The World Bank