To provide a better user experience, many pages on the net use cookie to store the user’s data. A cookie is a small amount of data given to the web browser by the web-server. They are small text files that are placed in the browser that are used to store the user preferences. Amongst many functions, the most common feature of the cookie is to store the username and password of any user. The browser sends the cookie to the server. The server can use this information to present the user’s data with custom pages.
Classification of Cookies
According to their usage, cookies may be divided into two categories- The session cookies and persistent cookies.
Session cookies are temporary and remain into functioning as long as the browsing session is active. Once the browser is closed, the cookies are deleted. They allow the user to access secure parts of the web page when logged in.
Persistent cookies are designed to store data for an extended period, even after the termination of the browsing session. Persistent cookies are used for a variety of purposes such as retaining the visitor’s language and regional preference at the end of each browsing session.
Significance of Cookies
Cookies can be beneficial for the user-end as well as the server-end. It carries information from one session to the other. Cookies help the server-end to be more efficient. They support the server-end to keep a track on the visitors of the site and also track any marketing lead. They are simple to use and implement and do not acquire any additional memory. For the user, Cookies allow to enhance functionality and personalization and enable the server to design some custom pages for the user from cookies.
Most browsers allow viewing the cookies in the browser preference, within the security or privacy tab. Cookies allow the server end to manage the least and the most viewed pages of their site.
Various cookies used by TechAhead
- PHPSESSID used to store simple messages when a form is submitted that can be displayed on a different page.
- _hjIncludedInSample Determines if the user’s navigation should be registered in a specific statistical place.
- _ga This cookie name is associated with Google Universal Analytics. It is included in each page request on a site and used to calculate visitor, session and campaign data for the sites analytics reports.
- _gid It appears to store and update a unique value for each page visited.
Third party CookiesCookies are essential for the website to function and cannot be switched off. If the cookies in any browser are turned off, the server may start to behave abnormally, disallowing most of the functions to work. Most browsers allow using the third-party applications which give the browser the authority to manage or block the cookies.
The third party cookies may help the server to provide insights above the site, help in targeting advertising campaigns. The companies collect cookies based on your browsing history and give suggestions to the user regarding it.
Various common third-party cookies used in Techahead’s website
- __cfduid The __cfduid cookie is used to identify individual clients behind a shared IP address and apply security settings on a per-client basis.
- __atuvc This cookie is associated with the AddThis social sharing widget which is commonly embedded in websites to enable visitors to share content with a range of networking and sharing platforms.
- _gat Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate